Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What makes me Happy

Today I had a happy day. It came in many different forms.

My iphone alarm woke me at six. I noticed straight away that I had a message. It was a message of love and friendship, togetherness in struggle from a friend far away. So some of my first thoughts and feelings today were warm. One the first things I did today was smile. How wonderful to start the day with a smile!

I headed out into the sunrise with my dog along the lake. Dressed in a sleeveless teeshirt and yoga pants, I fully embraced the wind that was blowing all around me. It seemed to come from everywhere. I have a thing for the wind. I feel like it stirs things up and moves stagnant energy. Maybe I love it too because I was born and raised on an island where the wind would bring us three seasons in one day!

There aren't many people on the boardwalk before seven am, but anyone who is, seems timidly friendly. As I approach my half way mark I see thirty sets of legs in the air by the beach. It's a fitness class. The onlookers include geese, swans and a crane.
I return home through a wooded area where I have seen deer and a coyote. There is a tree there that I love. I call it the magician because it appears to have a robe on.

After filling my fridge with food and doing some work, I had a delightful lunch with a friend with deep thoughtful eyes. Then later, spent many hours with three women who bring me support, laughter, joy and who cause me to be in awe of their beauty and wisdom.

I watched children, mine and others laugh and be playful. I comforted my sister who was feeling fragile. And I got a quick visit from my son and his girlfriend.

Somewhere in between all of this joyful activity, I watched a video of an acting coach Patsy Rodenberg. She said that in grief the only people who managed to comfort her were actors because actors know how to be present.
I want to be present and I want to act. Acting is how I have the most fun in the world. But I want to be present because I always want to be there for whoever is in front of me.

Now that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment